This vegetarian bibimbap bowl features quinoa instead of the traditional rice. It’s a delicious healthy dinner recipe perfect for Meatless Mondays!
For the quick pickles
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 cup mixture shredded carrots and radishes
For the sauce
- 2 tablespoons gochujang (or chili garlic sauce)
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
For the quinoa (or use our Instant Pot quinoa)
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
For the green beans
- 8 ounces haricots verts (French green beans)
- Kosher salt for salting water
For the eggs
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil
- 4 large eggs
For the garnish
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Make the quick-pickled radishes and carrots: Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan. In a pint-sized Ball jar with measurements or a glass bowl, add the vinegar, sugar, salt, and peppercorns. Add the boiling water to the vinegar mixture. Stir until the salt and sugar have dissolved. Submerge the carrots and radishes in the pickling solution and let sit for at least 30 minutes. This can be done up to 3 weeks in advance and stored covered in the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: Stir together all of the sauce ingredients in a small ramekin. Set aside. This can be made a day or two in advance.
- Make the quinoa: Add all the quinoa ingredients to a saucepan. Bring to a boil and then cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 15 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Fluff the quinoa with a fork.
- Make the beans: Fill a medium saucepan two-thirds full with water; bring to a boil. Add the beans; liberally salt the water. Cook for 5 minutes. Drain.
- Cook the eggs: Heat a 10-inch nonstick skillet on medium-low. Once warm, add the oil. Crack the eggs into separate corners, using a silicon spatula to pull in the whites. If the whites begin to bubble, turn the heat down further or pull the pan off the heat for a second. Cook for 1 minute, and then spoon the oil in the pan over the whites until cooked through. Carefully remove the eggs from the pan. Set aside.
- Assemble the bowls: Divide the quinoa, beans and eggs among 4 bowls. Spoon the pickled vegetables over each including a generous spoonful of the vinegar mixture. Drizzle with the sauce and garnish with jalapeno and green onions, if desired.
Reprinted with permission from The Minimalist Kitchen by Melissa Coleman
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Korean Inspired
Keywords: Bibimbap, Vegetarian Bibimbap, Bibimbap Bowl, Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Healthy, Quinoa, Gochujang