This vegetarian tamale pie recipe is easy to throw together if you use prepared polenta and canned beans. Top with sour cream and enjoy!
- 6 au gratin or small oven proof dishes (or one 9 x 9 baking dish)
- 1 cup cornmeal for polenta (or prepared polenta, about two 18 ounce tubes)
- 3 cups pinto beans, cooked (or canned)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups salsa
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend (or a mix of Monterrey jack and cheddar)
- Sour cream to serve
- Make the polenta. When it is done, spread a layer evenly in the bottom of each dish. For a firm polenta as the base layer, prepare the polenta in advance and refrigerate for 1 hour or more prior to baking.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Chop the cilantro. Drain the can of diced tomatoes and 1 1/2 cups salsa to remove excess liquid. If using canned beans, drain and rinse the beans.
- In large bowl, coarsely mash the beans with a fork. Add 1 cup corn, tomatoes, salsa, 2 teaspoons cumin, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 cup cilantro. Mix to combine.
- Spoon the bean mixture on top of the polenta. Top each dish with cheese and remaining cilantro.
- Bake for 20 minutes until heated through. Remove from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes before serving. Top with sour cream to serve.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: vegetarian tamale pie