This vegan stir fry recipe is bursting with veggies and smothered in a savory stir fry sauce! It’s an easy dinner idea everyone will love.
For the vegan stir fry*
- 1 8 ounce package tempeh, thinly sliced then cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 8 ounces baby bella or white mushrooms, sliced
- 3 1/2 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced (optional)
- 4 cups chopped broccoli florets (1 large or 2 small crowns)
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- Kosher salt
- Sesame seeds, for the garnish
- 3 ounces soba noodles, to serve
For the stir fry sauce
- 1/4 cup unsweetened creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or tamari)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 medium garlic clove, grated
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger root, grated
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Place the sliced tempeh in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Rest for 1 minute, then drain (this helps to remove bitterness).
- Prepare the veggies as noted in the ingredient list.
- Make the soba noodles, according to package instructions.
- Whisk together the stir fry sauce ingredients.
- In your largest skillet, heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil over medium high heat. Add the tempeh in a single layer and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side until lightly browned. Remove from the pan and transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon sesame oil to the same skillet. Add the bell peppers, mushrooms, broccoli, green onions, and another 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Sauté, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are just tender, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Add the tempeh and stir fry sauce and stir together until everything is coated with sauce. Stir in the noodles. Taste and add another 1 tablespoon soy sauce to taste.
*If you double the recipe, make sure to stir fry the vegetables in two batches so they don’t steam instead of stir fry (they’ll come out soggy if the pan is crowded.)
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Vegan stir fry, vege stir fry, vegan stir fry sauce