This classic vegan potato salad is the best! This crowd pleaser is creamy and tangy, mixed with celery, green onion, and dill pickles.
For the potato salad
- 1 cup Cashew Cream (below)
- 2 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3 large celery stalks
- 5 green onions
- 1/2 cup minced dill pickles
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- Fresh ground black pepper
For the cashew cream
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Place the cashews in a bowl and cover them with water. Soak them while making the recipe, at least 30 minutes if using a high speed blender and about 1 hour for a regular blender. If you think ahead, you can soak the cashews overnight before making the salad. (You also can make the cashew mayo in advance.)
- Boil the potatoes: Quarter the potatoes, keeping the skins on. Place them in a large saucepan filled with cold water. Bring it to a boil and cook for 10 to 15 minutes until tender when pricked with a fork. Drain and rinse the potatoes under cold water. Allow to cool slightly, then peel the skins off with your fingers and cut the potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Place the potatoes into a bowl and sprinkle with the white wine vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Mix and let stand until ready to assemble.
- Slice the celery stalks in half lengthwise, then thinly slice them. Thinly slice the green onions. Mince the dill pickles.
- Make the cashew cream: After the cashews have soaked at least 30 minutes (more, if time), drain them. In the bowl of a blender, place the cashews, water, olive oil, yellow mustard, white wine vinegar, maple syrup, garlic powder, and kosher salt. Blend on high for several minutes until smooth and creamy. (Makes about 1 cup; store refrigerated if making in advance.)
- In the bowl with the potatoes, mix in the cashew mayonnaise, celery, green onions, pickles, 1 tablespoon yellow mustard, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper. Serve immediately, or refrigerate until serving.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan Potato Salad