Want pesto but you eat plant based? This vegan cashew pesto has all the goodness of a classic basil pesto…without the cheese.
- 1/2 cup raw, unsalted cashews
- 1 tablespoon light miso paste
- 2 medium garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- In a small dry skillet, toast the nuts over medium high heat, stirring constantly, for about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the nuts to a bowl and allow them to cool slightly. (This step is optional, but brings out a more robust flavor in the nuts.)
- In food processor*, combine all ingredients except the olive oil. Turn on the food processor and gradually pour in the olive oil. Stores for about 1 week in the refrigerator and several months frozen.
*You also can do the same method using a mortar and pestle, adding the basil leaves gradually and crushing them against the sides of the mortar.
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Blended
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Vegan cashew pesto, vegan pesto, vegan pesto recipe, basil pesto recipe