This vegan Caesar salad tastes even better than the original! It features an irresistibly creamy dressing, capers, and crunchy croutons.
For the Vegan Caesar Dressing (makes 1 cup)
- 1 medium garlic clove
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, drained + 1/4 cup aquafaba (liquid from the can)
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons yellow miso paste (or any miso marked light or white*)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons neutral oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
For the salad
- 1 cup croutons, store-bought or homemade
- 1 head romaine or 2 romaine hearts
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale
- 1/4 cup capers, drained
- 1 ripe avocado (optional)
- Lemon zest (optional)
- Make the croutons (optional): If using, make the Homemade Croutons, tearing the bread into pieces before baking instead of slicing it into cubes. Or, use purchased croutons.
- Make the dressing: Peel and roughly chop the garlic. Drain the chickpeas into a liquid measuring cup: save 1/4 cup of the liquid (aquafaba) for the dressing. In a large blender, place the garlic, chickpeas, aquafaba, lemon juice, light miso paste, Dijon mustard, olive oil, neutral oil, kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper. Blend until a creamy dressing forms. Makes 1 cup; serve immediately or refrigerate up to 1 month; bring to room temperature before serving.
- Prep the fresh ingredients: Chop the romaine and Tuscan kale. Chop the avocado, if using.
- Serve: To serve, place the greens in serving bowls and top with drained capers, avocado, croutons, lemon zest (optional), and a few tablespoons of the dressing.
*Do not substitute brown or red miso, as the flavor is too strong and it makes the dressing too dark in color. Yellow, light or white miso is best here.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: Vegan caesar salad