Here’s the best ever vegan biscuits recipe! They’re easy to make and come out perfectly tender and flaky, with lots of layers and buttery flavor.
- Measure out the vegan butter and freeze it for 5 minutes.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 450°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, powdered sugar and kosher salt.
- Use a pastry cutter or fork to cut the vegan butter into the flour mixture until a crumbly texture forms (there can be small chunks of butter, but make sure the large ones are broken up). Stir together the almond milk and neutral oil, then pour into the flour and stir with a spatula until just absorbed. Do not overstir.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured counter and use your hands to form it into a rough ball.
- Gently pat the dough out into a 1/2-inch thick rectangle (about 8” x 10”). Fold the dough in half like a brick, turn it, and gently roll out until it is 1/2” thick again. Repeat the fold and roll 2 more times. Fold once more (the fourth and final time) and place in the refrigerator for 3 minutes. Then flour the counter again and roll the dough out into a 1/2″ thick rectangle.
- Use a 3” round biscuit cutter to cut the biscuits, pushing straight down (without turning the cutter) and transferring to a parchment lined baking sheet. Ensure the edges of each biscuit are touching on the baking sheet to improve rise (see the photos above). You should get 6 biscuits out of the first cutting, then re-roll the dough scraps for final 2 biscuits. Pack down the dough to try to get an even texture for these last 2 biscuits (otherwise they’ll be lumpy when baked).
- Brush the tops of the biscuits with neutral oil. Bake 13 to 16 minutes until golden brown. Serve immediately. Store leftovers frozen for up to 3 months or refrigerated for a few days (reheat in a 350 degree oven until warm).
*We have tested this recipe with coconut oil, and it also works: however, it yields a drier biscuit. The best flavor and moisture is with vegan butter. Try to find a minimally processed vegan butter: we used Miyoko’s Vegan Butter, which is organic, minimally processed and made with cashews and coconut.
- Category: Biscuit
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan Biscuits