This is the absolute best chocolate mug cake recipe! Here’s how to make a mug cake in under 5 minutes that’s insanely fudgy.
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Dutch process /dark cocoa powder (or standard cocoa powder)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (granulated or coconut)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons milk of choice
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil
- 2 tablespoons dark chocolate chips (non-dairy as desired)
- Mix: In a 12 ounce* microwave-safe mug, mix the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda and salt. Stir in the milk and oil. Add the chocolate chips and stir once.
- Microwave: Place a paper towel under the mug in the microwave, then cook on High 60 seconds. Check for doneness: if it’s still gooey and wet on top, microwave another 20 seconds, then another 10 seconds. It done when the top looks cooked and springs back when you touch it (it will still appear moist but will be springy). The exact timing depends on the microwave: ours works well with 60 seconds, then another 30 seconds.
- Cool: Important: wait for 2 to 3 minutes for the cake to cool down from piping hot to warm. Don’t taste right away: it doesn’t taste right. But cooling a few minutes does the trick! Top with whipped cream or ice cream and serve warm.
*It also works in an 8 ounce mug (shown in the photos), but it may spill a bit over the sides (hence the paper towel).
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: Valentine's Day Dinner Ideas