Tortelloni could not be tastier paired with tomato cream sauce! The rich, tangy sauce pairs perfectly with chewy pasta pillows.
- 18 ounces refrigerated cheese tortelloni*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 28 ounce crushed tomatoes (fire roasted if possible)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (double concentrated) tomato paste or 3 tablespoons normal tomato paste
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 yellow onion, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Fresh ground black pepper
- To serve: Parmesan cheese, fresh basil (optional)
- Make the sauce: Mince the garlic. Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and fennel seeds and cook for about 1 minute until fragrant and the garlic is golden (do not allow to brown). Turn the heat to medium low. Add the canned tomatoes, tomato paste, 1/4 cup of the heavy cream, the half onion, and the salt. Simmer 20 to 30 minutes until the sauce is thickened. When thickened, remove the half onion and stir in remaining 2 tablespoons heavy cream.
- Cook the pasta: Start a large pot of well-salted water to boil. Boil the pasta until al dente according to the package instructions (usually around 2 minutes).
- Serve: When the sauce is done, add the pasta to the skillet. Top with Parmesan shavings and fresh basil, if desired.
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian inspired