This homemade tomato sauce recipe has simple ingredients that make big flavor! Here’s how to make this Italian staple.
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes, San Marzano or best quality
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 6 large basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat in a saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and cook gently for 5 minutes, until softened and fragrant. Add the tomatoes and remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth. Add the salt, sugar, oregano and basil and blend until combined.
- Return to the saucepan and simmer partially covered until thickened to the desired consistency, 15 to 30 minutes. Taste and adjust salt as desired. (Variations: Stir in red pepper flakes, a splash of cream, grated Parmesan cheese, or a splash of balsamic vinegar if desired.)
- Serve 2 cups tomato sauce with 8 ounces pasta, and top with Parmesan cheese, Pecorino Romano cheese, and/or red pepper flakes. Sauce stores refrigerated for 5 days or frozen for 3 months.
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Tomato sauce, tomato sauce recipe, homemade tomato sauce, home made tomato sauce, how to make tomato sauce