This tomato cream sauce recipe is bursting with rich and tangy flavor! It’s easy to whip up in just 30 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 28 ounce crushed fire roasted tomatoes (or best quality canned tomatoes)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (double concentrated) tomato paste or 3 tablespoons normal tomato paste
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream (or cashew cream, for vegan)
- 1/2 yellow onion, peeled
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- To serve: Parmesan cheese, fresh basil (optional)
- 1 pound pasta, for serving
- Mince the garlic. Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and fennel seeds and cook for about 1 minute until fragrant and the garlic is golden (do not allow to brown).
- Turn the heat to medium low. Add the canned tomatoes, tomato paste, 1/4 cup of the heavy cream, the half onion, the oregano, and the salt. Simmer 20 to 30 minutes until the sauce is thickened.
- When thickened, remove the half onion and stir in remaining 2 tablespoons heavy cream. Taste; if you didn’t use fire roasted tomatoes and the flavor is acidic, add a few teaspoons sugar and taste again. Serve with 1 pound pasta. If desired, serve with Parmesan shavings and chopped fresh basil. Leftover sauce stores refrigerated for up to 1 week.
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian inspired
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Tomato cream sauce