This tofu tacos recipe is what easy dinners are made of! The filling is spiced to perfection, making it a vegan meal everyone will love.
For the tofu
- 12 to 14-ounce block extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
For the tacos
- 2 cups red cabbage
- Lime wedges
- Fresh cilantro leaves, torn
- Pico de gallo (purchased or homemade)
- Vegan yogurt (or regular), mixed with salt and Mexican hot sauce to taste (we like Cholula brand)
- Make the tofu crumbles: Drain the tofu container, then pat the tofu dry with a clean dish towel. Place the tofu in a large bowl and use your fingers to break the tofu into roughly bite-sized crumbles. (It might be a little cold on your hands: don’t worry, it should only take a few seconds!). Stir in the soy sauce, vinegar, salt, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large non-stick skillet. Add the tofu and cook on medium high for 8 to 10 minutes, breaking up large pieces into bite sized chunks and stirring occasionally, until browned and lightly crispy and the liquid evaporates. (The exact timing depends on the tofu brand.)
- Assemble the toppings: Thinly slice the red cabbage, and place it in a bowl. Spritz with the juice of 2 lime wedges and add a few pinches kosher salt. Mix the vegan yogurt with Mexican hot sauce to taste, and add a few pinches of salt.
- Warm the tortillas: Warm and char the tortillas by placing them on an open gas flame on medium for a few seconds per side, flipping with tongs, until they are slightly blackened and warm. (See How to Warm Tortillas.)
- Serve: Place the tofu crumbles in the tortillas, then top with toppings and enjoy.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican inspired
Keywords: Tofu tacos