Thai basil fried rice is a delicious way to use this fragrant herb! Thai basil infuses a delicate anise flavor into this satisfying dish.
- 1/2 yellow or white onion
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger (about 1 inch nub)
- 2 large carrots
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 4 cups cooked jasmine rice, at least 1 day old or cooled using the shortcut below*
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- ⅓ cup Thai basil leaves
- Optional: 1 pound medium small shrimp (size 51 to 60), shelled and deveined, frozen or fresh**
- Mince the onion. Mince the garlic. Mince the ginger. Peel the carrots, then dice them.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat 2 tablespoons of the sesame oil medium high. Sauté the carrots and onion for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for 1 minute. Stir in the rice, peas and salt for 1 minute.
- Push the rice to the side. Add 1 tablespoon more oil. Add the eggs and pinch of salt, and scramble them in for 1 to 2 minutes until cooked through.
- Add the soy sauce and fish sauce, if using. Taste and add additional soy sauce if necessary. Heat for a minute or two, stirring, until all rice is coated. Add the Thai basil and turn off the heat, stirring until it wilts. Serve hot.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Southeast Asian inspired
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Thai basil