This Thai basil shrimp stir fry is full of flavor, making the most of the aromatic anise flavor of this fresh herb!
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, deveined (tail on or peeled)
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 1-inch nub ginger, peeled and minced (or 1/2 teaspoon ground dried ginger)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup Thai basil leaves, loosely packed
- Thaw the shrimp, if frozen. Pat the shrimp dry and add it to a large bowl.
- Mince the garlic. Peel and mince the ginger. In a small bowl, mix the soy sauce and 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil with the garlic, ginger, onion powder, and kosher salt. Toss the mixture with the shrimp.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon sesame oil on medium high heat. Add the shrimp and cook for 1 minute, then flip and cook additional 30 seconds. Add the Thai basil and turn continuously until basil is wilted and shrimp is fully cooked and opaque, about another 1 minute. Garnish with additional Thai basil leaves, if desired.
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Thai inspired
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Thai basil shrimp