This tasty stir fry recipe is our go-to for healthy plant based dinners: and you can use either tempeh or tofu! It’s got the best stir fry sauce and lots of colorful veggies.
For the stir fry sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon miso
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
For the stir fry
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh broccoli, stem on (about 3 large heads or 6 heaping cups florets)*
- 1 red bell pepper (or half red and half orange)
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms (optional)
- 2 green onions
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 14-ounces firm or extra firm tofu or 1 8 ounce package tempeh
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoons sesame oil
- Sesame seeds
- Start the rice: If serving with rice, start the rice.
- Make the sauce: Whisk together the stir fry sauce ingredients in a medium bowl, or make the sauce in advance and refrigerate until cooking.
- Chop the veggies: Chop the broccoli into florets. Thinly slice the pepper. Remove the shiitake stems and thinly slice them, if using. Thinly slice the green onion. Peel and grate the ginger.
- Cook the tempeh: Slice the tempeh into 1/4-inch rectangles. In your largest skillet, heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil over medium high heat. Add the tempeh in a single layer, sprinkle with a few pinches kosher salt, and 2 to 3 minutes per side until lightly browned. Remove from the pan.
- OR, cook the tofu: Cut the tofu into bite sized pieces (1-inch squares, 3/8-inch thick and pat it dry with a towel. Add the oil to a large non-stick pan and add the tofu cubes and a few pinches kosher salt. Turn on the heat to medium-high. Cook 5 to 6 minutes until lightly browned on the bottom. Briefly remove the pan from the heat to reduce spitting. Flip the tofu with chopsticks (the easiest method!) or tongs. Return the heat to medium-high and cook 5 to 6 minutes until browned. Remove the tofu to a bowl and set it aside.
- Stir fry the veggies: Add another 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet. Add the broccoli, pepper, and shiitake mushrooms and two pinches salt and cook 6 to 7 minutes until just starting to brown on edges, stirring occasionally. In the last minute, add 1 tablespoon water and allow the vegetables to steam.
- Turn down the heat to low. Add the green onion and ginger and cook 1 minute. Turn off the heat. Add the tofu or tempeh and sauce and stir until the sauce thickens. Serve immediately. Store leftovers up to 3 days refrigerated.
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Stir fry
- Cuisine: Asian inspired
Keywords: Tempeh vs tofu