This cherry baked oatmeal is one of our best loved breakfast recipes. It’s delicious, simple to make, naturally sweet, vegan, and gluten-free.
- 1 cup dried Montmorency tart cherries
- ½ cup pecan pieces (or chopped pecans)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 egg, beaten (omit for vegan)
- 2 cups milk (use 2 1/2 cups almond milk for vegan)*
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons butter or coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- If desired, roughly chop the dried cherries. In a large bowl, mix the cherries, pecans, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom, and kosher salt.
- Grease an 8- or 9-inch square pan and pour in the oat and cherry mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg (if using). Mix in the milk, maple syrup, and vanilla. Slowly drizzle the milk mixture over the oats, and mix to combine if necessary.
- Over the top of the oats, drizzle the melted butter or coconut oil. (If desired, add a few more cherries to the top for presentation.)
- Bake 35 to 45 minutes until the top is nicely golden and the oat mixture has set. Remove from the oven and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- To serve, cut into pieces. If desired, top with a drizzle of milk and extra maple syrup. Store leftovers refrigerated.
For the vegan variation, use 2 1/2 cups almond milk; the extra 1/2 cup offsets the omission of the egg. Make ahead: Mix up the dries and store in a sealed plastic bag or container; mix up the wets and store in a ball jar or sealed container. When ready to bake, prepare the pan, add the wets and dries, and drizzle with melted butter or coconut oil.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: baked oatmeal, cherry oatmeal