This taco sauce recipe comes together quickly and has amazing flavor! It’s like your favorite jarred version…but better.
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce (small batch; or double for 1 1/2 cups sauce!)*
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 (mild) to 2 (medium) teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together tomato sauce, water, 2 tablespoons white vinegar, hot sauce, sugar, salt, garlic powder, onion powder and cumin. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low or medium low. Simmer where the sauce is steadily bubbling for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, stir the cornstarch into 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl until dissolved. Add the cornstarch slurry to the taco sauce and cook for an additional 1 minute, stirring constantly, until the sauce becomes thick and glossy. Remove from the heat and stir in the additional 1 teaspoon vinegar. Store refrigerated; it will thicken even more as it cools.
*Tomato sauce is not marinara sauce, spaghetti sauce, or tomato paste; look for the label “tomato sauce” on the can.
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican inpsired
Keywords: Taco sauce, taco sauce recipe