Here’s how to make sweet potato fries: the best you’ll have at home! They’re incredible: baked until crispy and seasoned to perfection.
- 2 pounds small to medium sweet potatoes*
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Evenly space the oven racks to ensure even cooking.
- Cut the potatoes into fries: (Watch this video or use a fry cutter.) Wash the potatoes, leaving the skins on. Slice off the ends of each potato, then slice off part of the side to make a base. Place the potato half cut side down and cut off a 3/8-inch slice, then lay the slice on its side and cut it into several long strips. Repeat until all potatoes have been cut into fries. The pieces can be uneven, but aim for as uniform of thickness as possible**. See the video for full instructions!
- Soak in cold water (10 minutes): Place the cut fries into a medium bowl and rinse with cold water until water is clear. Then fill the bowl with cold water and allow to rest for 10 minutes (while the oven preheats). Then drain the potatoes and dry them thoroughly with a clean dish towel.
- Season the fries: Place the fries in a large bowl; drizzle with the olive oil, then add the garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, and cornstarch. Mix thoroughly to combine. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Spread the fries on the paper, placing them as far apart as possible.
- Bake: Bake 15 minutes on one side. Remove the trays from the oven and flip the fries. Place them back in the oven (on reversed oven racks for even baking) and bake 16 to 19 minutes until the fries are dry and slightly browned. Watch them carefully as the cooking time can depend on the thickness and your specific oven. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
*Weigh out the potatoes for accuracy. Sweet potatoes vary widely in size so it’s easiest to specify quantity by weight instead of a number of potatoes. Small to medium potatoes have the best shape for fries.
**You can also use a fry cutter; it’s a little harder to use on sweet potatoes but still works (see above).
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Sweet potato fries, healthy fries, how to make sweet potato fries, best sweet potato fries, homemade sweet potato fries