This classic Succotash recipe is a great way to infuse vegetables into any meal! It’s a healthy side dish with a long history.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, minced
- 4 cups frozen corn (or fresh corn cut off the cob)
- 2 cups frozen lima beans
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon salted butter (or olive oil)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, optional
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the corn, beans, red pepper, tomatoes, garlic powder, smoked paprika, dried sage, salt, and the fresh ground black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until all vegetables are tender and nearly cooked, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in the salted butter and parsley (if using) and cook 1 minute more, until the butter is melted. Taste and add the additional salt if desired. Serve warm.
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Succotash, Succotash recipe, what is succotash