This stuffed portobello mushrooms recipe is simply incredible, stuffed with spinach artichoke filling and baked with crispy bread crumbs!
- 6 medium portobello caps (about 10 to 12 ounces)
- 5 ounces frozen chopped spinach
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot (1 small)
- 1 green onion
- 3/4 cup chopped canned artichokes (about 1/2 can or jar)
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried dill, garlic powder and kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup Italian panko* or Italian breadcrumbs
- Paprika or smoked paprika, for topping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake the portobello mushrooms: Clean the portobello mushrooms and remove the stems. Place them on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet gill side up. Drizzle the tops with the olive oil and use your hands to rub on the bottoms. Sprinkle with about 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt divided among the mushroom caps. Place the baking sheet in the oven and roast for 15 minutes until tender. Once baked, drain the caps of the excess liquid.
- Meanwhile, make the filling: Meanwhile, thaw the spinach. Use a strainer to squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Mince the shallot. Thinly slice the green onions. Roughly chop the artichokes. In a medium bowl, mix together the spinach, shallot, green onions, and artichokes with the Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, dried dill, garlic powder, kosher salt and several grinds black pepper.
- Stuff the mushrooms: Turn down the oven heat to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Spread the filling into the roasted mushrooms caps (there may be a little left over). Top with a little more Parmesan cheese on each cap, then sprinkle with the Italian panko. If desired, sprinkle with a little paprika or smoked paprika for color.
- Bake the stuffed mushrooms: Bake 10 minutes until the breadcrumbs are golden. Serve immediately.
*We recommend Italian panko or Italian breadcrumbs because they’re already seasoned. If all you can find is regular panko, mix 1/3 cup panko with 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning (or 1 teaspoon dried oregano and 1/4 teaspoon each dried basil and thyme).
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Portobello mushrooms, stuffed portobello mushrooms, baked portobello mushrooms, how to cook portobello mushrooms, stuffed portobello mushroom recipes, roasted portobello mushrooms