These stuffed poblano peppers are so easy to make! The zesty filling features rice, corn, black beans, and of course: gooey cheese.
- 4 cups cooked brown rice (or 4 cups of any cooked grain)
- 4 poblano peppers
- 1 1/2 cups salsa
- 1 15 ounce can black beans
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 3 green onions
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Cayenne, to taste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Shredded cheese (we used a Mexican blend)
- Chopped cilantro for serving (optional)
- If necessary, cook the rice according to the package instructions or use our Instant Pot method.
- While the rice cooks, prepare the peppers: slice the poblano peppers in half and remove the seeds and ribs. Place the peppers in a baking dish skin side up. Broil on high for about 7 minutes, then flip the peppers and broil 7 minutes more.
- Chop the green onions. Drain and rinse the black beans.
- In a large saucepan, combine: beans, onions, salsa, corn, a handful of the shredded cheese, cumin, chili powder, and a pinch of cayenne (if you like it spicy!). Season with kosher salt and pepper to taste. When the rice is finished, stir it into the filling.
- Heat the filling a few minutes over medium heat until warm (the timing depends on the heat of the rice).
- Place the pepper halves skin side down in a baking dish, and spoon the filling into each half. Top the filling with shredded cheese and broil until the cheese is melted, for about 2 minutes.
- Serve warm. If desired, garnish with chopped cilantro and sour cream.
Alternative oven method: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Follow Steps 2, 4 and 5 above to prepare the peppers and filling. Then bake until the peppers are tender and browned, around 25 to 30 minutes.
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Broiled
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Stuffed poblano peppers, Stuffed peppers