This strawberry rhubarb crisp is sweet tart and nostalgic, sweetened with maple syrup with a crumbly topping of pure oats.
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb (10 ounces)
- 3 cups sliced strawberries (1 pound)
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup or sugar, divided*
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup oat flour (oats ground finely in a food processor or high speed blender) or almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons butter or coconut oil
- Add-in ideas: 1 teaspoon orange or lemon zest or 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh ginger root in the filling adds complexity; 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom in the crumble would also be nice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Make the filling: Chop the rhubarb into small pieces (about 1/2 inch wide). Slice the strawberries, cutting any large strawberry slices in half. In a medium bowl, mix the strawberries and rhubarb with 6 tablespoons maple syrup, the cornstarch and the vanilla.
- Make the topping: If necessary, process your oats into oat flour in a food processor or high speed blender (should take only a minute or so!). In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, oat flour, cinnamon, and kosher salt. Cut the butter into small pieces and then use your hands to mix it into the oats until fully distributed and a crumbly dough forms. (If using coconut oil, it can be room temperature; use the same method to add it.) Stir in the remaining 6 tablespoons of maple syrup.
- Pour the filling into a round 9-inch pie pan (or 9 x 9 inch pan). Pour the crumble on top and smooth it into an even layer with your fingers.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until the top is evenly lightly browned and the filling is bubbly. Cool for a few minutes, then serve warm. You can leave out your strawberry rhubarb crisp on the counter for up to 1 day (covered, at night) so the crisp topping can stay crisp. After 1 day, refrigerate any leftovers.
*Sugar will get you a crispier crisp topping; maple syrup will make it cakier and softer. The crispiest crisp topping is achieved using sugar, butter, and almond flour.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp, Healthy Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp, How to Make a Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp, Easy Dessert Recipes