This strawberry crumble is the only recipe you need! The big berry flavor and crisp topping make a recipe you’ll bake up again and again.
For the filling
- 2 pounds strawberries, fresh or frozen (about 6 1/2 cups whole)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon orange zest* (or 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For the crumble / crisp topping
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour or almond flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons cold salted butter (or coconut oil or vegan butter for vegan)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Make the filling: Clean and quarter the fresh berries. Or if using frozen, run the berries under warm water for about 1 minute in a strainer (they will still be mostly frozen but starting to thaw on the outside). Then mix with the filling ingredients in a bowl, then pour the filling into a round 9-inch pie pan, 9 x 9 inch baking dish or 7 x 11 baking dish.
- Make the topping: In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, flour, sugar, cinnamon, nuts (if using) and kosher salt. Cut the butter into small pieces and then use your hands to mix it into the oats until fully distributed and a crumbly dough forms. It may take a while so be patient; you can also use a pastry cutter if you prefer. (If using coconut oil, it can be room temperature; use the same method to add it.) Pour the crumble on top and smooth it into an even layer with your fingers.
- Bake: Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until the top is evenly golden brown and the filling is bubbly (this will vary based on your oven and berries: it may be shorter or longer so keep an eye on it). Cool for 30 minutes to 1 hour, then serve warm. You can leave out your crisp on the counter for up to 1 day (covered, at night) so the crisp topping can stay crisp. After 1 day, refrigerate any leftovers. This crumble also freezes well for several months in a sealed container; reheat it in a 350 degree oven until bubbly and the topping is crisp.
*For a very forward orange flavor, use 1/3 to 1/2 teaspoon orange zest.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Crisp
Keywords: Strawberry crumble, Strawberry crumble recipe, Strawberry crisp, Strawberry crisp recipe