Steamed carrots are a fresh and easy side dish that’s bursting with flavor! Here’s a tutorial for how to steam this healthy orange vegetable.
- 8 medium carrots (1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or butter)
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (we used thyme and parsley)
- 2 lemon wedges
- Peel and slice the carrots into 1/4-inch slices on the bias (diagonally).
- Place about 1 inch of water in a pot or saucepan. If using a steamer basket without a handle, add it to the pot now: the water surface should be right under the basket. Bring the water to a boil.
- Once boiling, add the carrots (in the steamer basket, if it has a handle). Steam with the lid on until just tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. Taste test with a fork to assess doneness.
- Carefully remove the vegetables to a bowl. Toss with the olive oil, kosher salt, and fresh herbs. Spritz with the juice from 2 lemon wedges (if using).
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Steamed
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Steamed Carrots