This squash and zucchini casserole is a total crowd pleaser! A cozy summer side dish, it’s topped with crunchy breadcrumbs and Parmesan.
- 3 pounds zucchini and squash (about 2 medium zucchini and 2 medium squash)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup seasoned Italian panko or Italian breadcrumbs (contains salt)*
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Farenheit.
- Slice the zucchini and squash into 1/4-inch thick rounds. Place them in a bowl and stir them together with the garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt.
- In your largest skillet, heat the olive oil or butter over medium high heat. Add the zucchini and squash. Cover the skillet and cook for 2 minutes, then uncover and stir. Cover again for 2 minutes and uncover and stir, moving slices to the bottom layer as necessary so that they can get browned. Cook 2 minutes again, flipping the pieces carefully, until they are crisp tender.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add another 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/2 cup milk, 1 tablespoon flour whisked into 2 tablespoons milk, and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Cook 2 to 3 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Pour the zucchini and squash into a small baking dish (2 quart or 11″ x 8″). Top with the seasoned Italian panko and another 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes until golden brown. Allow to stand for at least 10 minutes so the sauce thickens slightly. Serve with a slotted spoon.
*You can also make homemade Italian breadcrumbs: see Step 4 in How to Make Breadcrumbs.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Squash and Zucchini Casserole