This noodle bowl is a spring roll—in bowl form! This irresistible vegan dinner recipe is an explosion of flavor: tangy lime, herbal mint, and crisp veggies.
For the noodle bowl
- 1 recipe Marinated Tofu (or your favorite baked tofu recipe)
- 7 ounces rice noodles (or your favorite noodles; we used large, flat noodles)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 English cucumber, diced
- 2 medium carrots, shredded (using a handheld julienne shredder is helpful)
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil, mint, and cilantro (for best results, use all three!)
- Crushed peanuts, for garnish
For the Sweet Garlic Lime Sauce (makes 1 1/4 cups)
- 1/4 cup grated carrot (1 medium)
- 1/2 teaspoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1 small clove garlic, grated
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sambal olek
- Make the Easy Marinated Tofu. (To keep the ingredients minimal, omit the sesame seeds and green onion, and use sambal olek instead of gochujang.) Or, you can use your favorite baked tofu method. While the tofu marinates, make the rest of the recipe.
- Make the sauce: Grate the carrot. Peel and grate the ginger and garlic. In a medium bowl, combine the carrot, ginger and garlic with the rice vinegar, lime juice, brown sugar, soy sauce, and sambal olek.
- Cook the rice noodles according to the package instructions (you’ll likely pour boiling water over them and wait until they’re tender!). Rinse them under cool water when cooked.
- Prepare the vegetables: Dice the pepper. Dice the English cucumber. (If you use a normal cucumber, you may want to peel it first.) Shred the carrot.
- Serve: Toss the noodles with the tofu, veggies and the desired amount of sauce: we used about 1/4 cup per serving. You can put the entire recipe in a large bowl, or make little individual servings and toss with the desired amount of sauce and veggies. Garnish with chopped peanuts on top.
*Make ahead instructions: Make the tofu in advance and refrigerate for up to 4 days. Make the sauce in advance and refrigerate up to 1 week. Cut the veggies in advance and refrigerate 1 to 2 days (they can dry out if you go any longer).
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: Southeast Asian
Keywords: Noodle Bowl, Noodle Bowl Recipe, Spring Roll Noodle Bowl