Spinach rice turns rice into a classy side dish! Garlic, dill and feta cheese bring big flavor to this Mediterranean-style dish.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups (5 ounces) baby spinach (or chopped standard spinach)
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, optional
- 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbles
- Mince the garlic. In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté 1 minute until fragrant (but not browned). Add spinach and cook until it wilts, about 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups water and bring it to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Add the rice, salt, garlic powder, and onion powder. Make sure it’s simmering, then cover and cook for 15 minutes, uncovering and checking every so often to make sure that the heat is not too high.
- After 15 minutes, check to make sure the water is completely cooked out (if not, cook a minute or two longer but it should be done by this point). Remove the heat and let stand covered for 5 minutes. Uncover and fluff with a fork, then stir in the lemon juice and chopped dill. Top with feta crumbles and serve.
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Rice
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Spinach rice