This spinach artichoke rice casserole combines the gooey, comforting essence of spinach artichoke dip with nourishing whole grain red rice.
- 2 cups dry Lundberg organic red rice (or brown or white rice)
- 8 ounces baby spinach leaves (8 cups)
- 1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 14-ounce can artichoke hearts
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese (about 2 cups), shredded
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cook the rice according to the package instructions (takes about 50 minutes to cook and 10 minutes to steam; you can also make the rice in advance and reheat it!). You can also cook rice using the Instant Pot method.
- In a large skillet, heat the spinach leaves and 1 tablespoon water over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the leaves are completely reduced and wilted, about 4 to 5 minutes. (You may need to add a second batch of leaves depending on the size of your skillet.) Drain off any water, place the spinach in a bowl, and mix it with 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt.
- Roughly chop the artichoke hearts.
- Meanwhile, mince the garlic. In a large skillet, heat the butter over medium low heat. Add the garlic and saute for about 1 minute. Add the milk, red pepper flakes, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and bring to a simmer. Add the shredded cheese and stir until the cheese melts and the sauce thickens slightly (turn up the heat slightly if the cheese doesn’t melt at first, but be careful not to overheat it).
- When the rice and sauce are finished, pour the rice into a large casserole dish and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Add spinach and artichoke, pour in the sauce, and stir thoroughly to combine all rice with sauce and cheese (make sure to get the edges). Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes until warm. Allow to cool a few minutes before serving.
Make ahead: Make the rice in advance and refrigerate until assembling the bake. When baking, make sure the rice is fully warmed through, adding a few extra minutes to the bake time as necessary.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Red Rice Recipe, Spinach Artichoke Casserole, Rice Casserole