This spiked hot chocolate recipe is rich and creamy: ideal for taking the chill off! Make it with rum, bourbon, and more.
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- ¼ cup (1 ½ ounces) semisweet or dark chocolate chips*
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) aged or dark rum, bourbon, or Baileys Irish Cream or 1.5 ounces (3 tablespoons) Creme de Menthe or peppermint schnapps*
- Place a saucepan over medium heat. Add the cocoa powder and ¼ cup of the milk and whisk until the cocoa powder is mostly integrated. Whisk in the remaining milk until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and heat over medium heat until the chocolate is melted, about 2 minutes. Do not boil.
- Stir in the alcohol. Serve immediately, garnished with whipped cream or marshmallows.
**Check the schnapps bottle before you make this drink! If using 100 proof (50% ABV) schnapps, just add a drizzle to taste. You can also use Kahlua, but use 1.5 ounces and decrease the sugar to 2 tablespoons.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Cocktails
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Spiked hot chocolate, spiked hot chocolate recipe