This Southwest salad is a delicious plant based dinner recipe, a mix of sweet potatoes, veggies, and rice drizzled with a green chile vinaigrette.
For the rice
- 2 cups short grain rice, white or brown
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
For the roasted vegetables
- 2 large sweet potatoes (1 1/2 pounds)
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional for drizzling
- 2 to 3 ears corn, enough for about 2 cups* (if desired, use frozen corn and thaw)
For the dressing (makes more than enough for salads)
- 4 ounce can diced mild green chiles
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce (or tamari or coconut aminos)
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 12 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
For the salad
- 12 cups mixed greens
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1/4 cup roasted and salted pepitas
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Make the rice: Follow the package instructions or use our Instant Pot rice method. Then stir in the olive oil, cumin, chili powder, and kosher salt.
- Meanwhile, make the roasted vegetables: Chop the sweet potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Mix with garlic powder, salt and olive oil. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and roast for 20 to 25 minutes, until tender.
- Shuck the corn cobs and cut off corn kernels. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet in a single layer, and roast in the same oven for about 5 minutes until tender and bright yellow.
- Make the dressing: Thoroughly drain the green chilies. Using an immersion blender or blender, blend the chilies, soy sauce, and sherry vinegar. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and blend. Then gradually add another 2 tablespoons olive oil at a time and blend, until a creamy emulsion forms. (Makes more than enough for the bowls; leftovers keep in the refrigerator; warm to room temperature prior to serving.)
- Serve: Slice the tomatoes and dice the red onion. Sprinkle the tomatoes with a bit of kosher salt. To serve, place the greens in bowls, then top with rice, roasted sweet potatoes and corn, tomatoes, red onion, and pepitas. Serve the dressing on the side; store leftover dressing refrigerated.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Roasted
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Southwest Salad, Southwest Salad Dressing, Salad Recipes, Bowl Meal Recipes, Vegetarian Dinner Recipes, Vegan Dinner Recipes