Packed with basil, mint, and cilantro, these fresh rolls are served with a hoisin peanut dipping sauce. Bonus: this easy spring rolls recipe is vegan, too!
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 4 cups lettuce leaves
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 carrots
- 1/2 cup roasted and salted peanuts
- 12 rice paper wrappers
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce (sans corn syrup, if possible)
- 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
- 4 tablespoons warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (Sriracha or other)
- Coarsely chop the mint, cilantro, basil, and lettuce. In a medium bowl, combine the herbs and lettuce, and add a teaspoon of sesame oil (optional). Grate the carrots. Coarsely chop the peanuts.
- Fill a bowl with warm tap water. Slide in one of the rice paper wrappers for about 20 to 30 seconds, until soft and pliable. Transfer the wrapper carefully to a work surface. The wrapper will tend to stick to itself and may tear, but stay strong! After a couple times you’ll get the hang of it.
- Place a handful of the herbs, lettuce and carrots in a line at the bottom third of the wrapper, leaving about an inch uncovered on each side. Sprinkle the filling with chopped peanuts. Fold each side of the wrapper inward, then tightly roll the wrapper up, starting from the bottom. Place the finished roll on a platter.
- Repeat Step 3 for each of the rolls. (You’ll improve as you roll each one.) Avoid stacking the rolls on top of each other so that they do not stick together.
- To make the dipping sauce, combine 1/3 cup hoisin sauce, 2 tablespoons peanut butter, and around 4 tablespoons warm water (adjust the water to reach the desired consistency). For some spice, add 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce. Garnish with remaining chopped peanuts.
- Serve immediately, or cover the rolls with a damp paper towel and plastic wrap; they’ll last for about 2 hours in a cool place (but do not refrigerate).
Inspired by The Herbal Kitchen by Jerry Traunfeld
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: Fresh rolls, Easy spring roll recipe, Vegan spring rolls, how to make spring rolls, fresh spring rolls