A fast and easy dinner idea, these simple eggs and beans are the answer to how to get a quick dinner on the table…in just 20 minutes!
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 15-ounce can black beans (or 1 1/2 cups cooked or Instant Pot black beans)
- 1 handful cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (or any flavorful cheese)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Cherry tomatoes, for serving
- Avocado, for serving
- Mince the garlic. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add garlic and cook until just fragrant for about 30 seconds. Turn down the heat. Add the black beans, along with their liquid (or 1/2 cup water if using cooked beans), 4 sprigs of cilantro, ½ teaspoon cumin, and ½ teaspoon kosher salt. Bring to a boil, then simmer 15 minutes until the liquid condenses.
- In a medium bowl, crack 4 eggs and whisk them together until well-beaten. Stir in ¼ cup shredded cheese, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, and plenty of fresh ground pepper. In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Tilt the pan to ensure the entire pan is coated in the melted butter. Pour in the eggs.
- Keep the heat on medium. When the eggs just start to set, use a flat spatula to slowly scrape sections of eggs, creating folds. Scrape occasionally until the eggs form soft folds, and remove them from the heat just before they are fully hardened. Serve immediately with black beans, sliced cherry tomatoes, and sliced avocado, garnished with chopped cilantro.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: eggs and beans