This Shrimp Fajitas recipe is the ideal 30 minute meal: full of irresistible flavor that everyone loves! Add it to the regular rotation stat.
For the fajita veggies
- 3 bell peppers (red, yellow, and green)
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin*
- 1 teaspoon each chili powder, garlic powder, and smoked paprika*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
For the shrimp fajitas
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, deveined (tail on or peeled)
- 3/4 teaspoon each kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, and smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons butter (or olive oil)
- 3 lime wedges
- 8 to 12 small tortillas (flour or gluten free)
- For the toppings: Sour cream, pico de gallo, fresh cilantro, guacamole (optional), shredded cheese (optional)
- Thaw the shrimp, if frozen.
- Prep the veggies: Thinly slice the bell peppers and thinly slice the onion. Remove the stems and slice the portobello mushrooms. Smash the garlic cloves. Place all vegetables and garlic in a bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, salt, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and kosher salt.
- In your largest skillet**, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Add the vegetables and cook about 13 to 15 minutes until tender and lightly charred, stirring occasionally. Add additional salt to taste (we usually add a few more pinches). Remove and discard the garlic cloves. Place the vegetables in a bowl while you cook the shrimp.
- Cook the shrimp: Pat the shrimp dry. In a medium bowl, mix the shrimp with the salt, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and cumin. In the same skillet, heat the butter on medium high heat. Add the shrimp and cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side until just opaque and cooked through, turning them with tongs. Spritz with juice of the lime wedges.
- Serve: Warm the tortillas. Top with the toppings and serve.
*If you have homemade or purchased Fajita Seasoning, you can substitute it for the spices. For the veggies, use 2 tablespoons fajita seasoning and reduce the kosher salt to 1 teaspoon. For the shrimp, use 1 tablespoon fajita seasoning and add 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt.
**Sheet pan shrimp fajitas variation: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Prep the veggies and shrimp as noted in the recipe. Place the vegetables on a parchment lined baking sheet and roast 25 minutes until tender. Use a scraper to pull the veggies to one side. Add the shrimp to the baking sheet and bake 4 to 6 minutes until juicy and opaque, depending on the size of the shrimp.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Tex Mex
- Diet: Gluten Free
Keywords: Shrimp fajitas, Shrimp fajita recipe