This shrimp and rice recipe is a tasty one-pot dinner! Tender, juicy shrimp sits atop tender rice flavored with garlic, lemon and spinach.
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups (5 ounces) baby spinach (or chopped standard spinach)
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 3/4 pound medium shrimp, deveined and tail on (thawed if frozen)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbles
- Juice of 1/2 lemon plus lemon wedges, for serving
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and sauté 1 minute until fragrant but not browned. Add spinach and cook until it wilts, about 2 minutes.
- Add 3 cups water and bring it to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Add the rice, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder and dried dill. Once it’s simmering, cover and cook for 13 minutes, uncovering and checking every so often to make sure that the heat is not higher than a simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix the shrimp with the cumin, cayenne and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.
- After 13 minutes, check to make sure the water is completely cooked out (if not, cook a minute or two longer). Set the heat to low and add the shrimp to the top. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 10 minutes, until the shrimp is opaque.
- To serve, squeeze the lemon juice on top and sprinkle with feta cheese. Add a sprinkle of kosher salt. Garnish with lemon wedges and serve.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Diet: Gluten Free
Keywords: Shrimp and rice