The shiitake mushroom is one of the most umami-packed and delicious you’ll find! Here’s a favorite recipe for how to cook them to perfection.
- 1 pound shiitake mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha hot sauce (or other hot sauce)
- 2 dashes toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil (standard, not toasted)
- Kosher salt
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and discard. Slice the larger mushroom caps in half and keep smaller mushrooms whole. In a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, lime juice, Sriracha and toasted sesame oil.
- Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a few pinches of kosher salt while cooking.
- Once browned on all sides, carefully pour in the bowl of sauce and continue cooking 1 to 2 minutes until dark brown and glossy. Serve immediately.
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mushrooms
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Shiitake mushroom, Shiitake mushroom recipe