Sauteed asparagus is the fastest way to turn this veggie into a healthy side dish! Cook it simply with lemon, or customize with herbs or garlic.
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice plus zest of 1/2 lemon
- Optional: Feta cheese crumbles or shredded Parmesan cheese, for serving
- *Other adders: add 1 clove minced garlic after 3 minutes, use 2 tablespoons butter in place of the olive oil, add 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs at the end (chives, dill or parsley are nice)
- Wash the asparagus and trim off the ends. Cut the stalks into bite-sized pieces.
- In large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the asparagus, kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the largest pieces are tender, about 5 to 8 minutes. This depends on the thickness and maturity of the asparagus, so it’s different every time! Taste and remove when it’s just tender and still bright green, but not crunchy (cook a minute longer if you need to).
- Meanwhile, zest the lemon and juice it. When the asparagus is done, remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and lemon zest. (Optional: top with feta cheese crumbles or shredded Parmesan.)
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: Sauteed Asparagus