This chocolate pistachio vegan ice cream recipe is ultra creamy and delicious without using dairy: here are all our secrets!
- 2 15-ounce cans full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup agave syrup
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 3 1/2 ounces vegan dark chocolate, 70% cocoa
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup pistachios, chopped
- ½ teaspoon small crystal sea salt
- Freeze the ice cream maker base overnight.
- In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup coconut milk with 2 tablespoons cornstarch and set aside.
- Add the remainder of the coconut milk to a medium pan. Warm the coconut milk over medium low heat for a minute or two, whisking to incorporate the solids. Then add the agave syrup and coconut sugar. Break the chocolate into pieces and add to the coconut milk; stir until thoroughly combined. Whisk in the cocoa powder, then the cornstarch mixture. Heat until the chocolate mixture is thickened, 6 to 8 minutes (do not boil). Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a 1-gallon Ziplock bag. If churning immediately, place the bag in an ice bath for 30 minutes until cool; if churning the next day, refrigerate 4 hours or overnight (either way, the mixture should be as cold as possible before churning).
- Churn the ice cream in the ice cream maker until it thickens to the consistency of soft serve, adding in ½ cup chopped pistachios and ½ teaspoon sea salt crystals as the mixture churns.
- Eat immediately for a soft serve consistency, or for a hard ice cream texture, freeze using the following instructions: press a piece of parchment or wax paper into a sealable container, then scrape the ice cream into the container using a spatula, making sure to scrape in the bits frozen to the edges of the ice cream maker base. Freeze for 4 hours for a hard ice cream texture.
Note: Due to the need to chill the ingredients before churning, we recommend starting this recipe the night before serving.
Adapted from The Kitchn
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Frozen
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan Ice Cream Recipe, Chocolate Ice Cream, Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream, Vegan Ice Cream, Salted Chocolate, Vegan Pistachio Ice Cream