This chocolate vegan ice cream recipe is ultra creamy and delicious without using dairy! Here are the secrets to making it at home.
- 2 15-ounce cans full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup agave syrup
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar or coconut sugar
- 3 1/2 ounces vegan dark chocolate, 70% cocoa
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Mix ins: ½ cup chopped pistachios, ½ teaspoon small crystal sea salt (optional)
- Freeze the ice cream maker base overnight.
- In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup coconut milk with 2 tablespoons cornstarch and set aside.
- Add the remainder of the coconut milk to a medium pan. Warm the coconut milk over medium low heat for a minute or two, whisking to incorporate the solids. Then add the agave syrup and coconut sugar. Break the chocolate into pieces and add to the coconut milk; stir until thoroughly combined. Whisk in the cocoa powder, then the cornstarch mixture. Heat until the chocolate mixture is thickened, 6 to 8 minutes (do not boil). Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a 1-gallon Ziplock bag. If churning immediately, place the bag in an ice bath for 30 minutes until cool; if churning the next day, refrigerate 4 hours or overnight (either way, the mixture should be as cold as possible before churning).
- Churn the ice cream in the ice cream maker until it thickens to the consistency of soft serve, about 10 to 15 minutes. If using, add the chopped pistachios and sea salt as the mixture churns.
- Eat immediately for a soft serve consistency, or for a hard ice cream texture, freeze using the following instructions: press a piece of parchment or wax paper into a sealable container, then scrape the ice cream into the container using a spatula, making sure to scrape in the bits frozen to the edges of the ice cream maker base. Freeze for 4 hours for a hard ice cream texture.
Note: Due to the need to chill the ingredients before churning, we recommend starting this recipe the night before serving.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Frozen
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan Ice Cream Recipe, Chocolate Ice Cream, Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream, Vegan Ice Cream