This salmon sandwich recipe is bursting with flavor! Top the savory fish with feta crumbles and creamy dill sauce.
- 1 pound salmon fillets, skin on (wild caught if possible)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for brining
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 recipe Dill Sauce
- 4 buns, focaccia bread, or other buns
- Baby arugula
- Red onion slices
- Feta cheese crumbles
- Brine the salmon* (optional): In a large shallow dish, whisk together 4 cups room temperature water and 3 tablespoons kosher salt until dissolved. Place the salmon in the water and wait for 15 minutes. Otherwise, allow the salmon to come to room temperature.
- Pan sear the salmon (or grill the salmon): Pat the salmon dry with a clean towel. Sprinkle it with the kosher salt, Old Bay seasoning, and generous grinds of fresh ground pepper. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the salmon skin side up and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until cooked about halfway to the center of the thick part of salmon.
- Flip the salmon (a fish spatula makes easy work of it). Tilt the pan down slightly and quickly spoon the pan juices over the top of the fish a few times. Spoon the pan juices a few times again. Cook for 2 to 5 minutes, depending on the thickness, until just tender and pink at the center (the internal temperature should be between 125 to 130 Fahrenheit in the center when removed). If the pieces are very thick, you can place them in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven to finish cooking. Remove from the heat.
- Prepare the toppings: Make the Dill Sauce. Toss the arugula with a bit of olive oil and a few pinches kosher salt. Thinly slice the red onion.
- Serve: To serve, place the cooked salmon on the buns. Top with arugula, red onion slices, feta cheese crumbles, and the dill sauce. Serve immediately.
*This is most important for salmon that is lower quality; it helps to reduce the white stuff that comes out when cooking fish (albumin).
- Category: Salmon
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Seafood
Keywords: Salmon sandwich, salmon sandwich recipe