Here’s how to make the BEST salmon patties recipe, aka salmon cakes! Canned salmon makes them fast and easy. Serve with tartar dipping sauce.
- 18 ounces canned salmon* (boneless skinless)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon each Old Bay seasoning and onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup plain panko or coarse breadcrumbs (or gluten free breadcrumbs*)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, for cooking
- For serving: Tartar Sauce or Remoulade Sauce (required!)
- Drain salmon and shred it with a fork. In a medium bowl, mix it with the parsley, capers, Old Bay, onion powder, kosher salt, panko, Dijon mustard, mayonnaise, and egg.
- Form the dough into 8 patties that are about 1/2 inch thick. Refrigerate 15 minutes to firm up the texture (or up to 24 hours).
- Meanwhile, make the tartar sauce or remoulade sauce.
- When ready to cook, heat the olive oil in skillet over medium high heat. Add the patties and cook for 3 to 5 minutes until lightly browned, then gently flip them with a spatula and cook about 3 to 5 minutes more until lightly browned on the other side. Serve with the sauce.
*If using leftover cooked salmon, 18 ounces equals 2 1/2 cups flaked cooked salmon.
- Category: Appetizer or Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Diet: Gluten Free
Keywords: Salmon patties, salmon patties recipe, how to make salmon patties, canned salmon patties, salmon cakes, salmon cakes recipe, how to make salmon cakes, salmon cakes with canned salmon