These roasted smashed potatoes are a stunning side dish or appetizer! They’re perfectly crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
- Preheat the oven to 450F.
- In a large saucepan, place the potatoes and cover with cold water. Bring the water to a boil. When boiling, reduce to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 15 to 20 minutes (ours was done at 18 minutes). Make sure the potatoes are cooked through, but not overcooked.
- Once the potatoes are done, drain them. Place two clean dishtowels on the counter, and place the potatoes on top for a few minutes to fully drain.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then drizzle it with olive oil and brush it to cover the entire sheet. Place the potatoes on the sheet, evenly spaced. With a potato masher, gently press down on a potato until it mashes, then turn the masher 90 degrees and mash again (this should make a lovely criss-cross pattern on the top). Every few potatoes, wash the masher so that it is clean and not stuck with bits of potato – the best criss-cross patterns are made with a clean masher. Some potatoes won’t be as picturesque as others, but if you continue to clean the masher most will look similar to the photo.
- Place some additional olive oil in a bowl, then brush the tops of each smashed potato generously with olive oil. Then sprinkle each with a few pinches of kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until the potatoes are crispy and golden brown.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and transfer them to a serving platter. Drizzle with white balsamic reduction and sprinkle with chives.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Smashed Potatoes, White Balsamic Reduction, What is Balsamic Reduction, Side Dish, Dinner Party Recipes, Side Dish Recipes, Vegetarian Recipes, Vegan Recipes