This roasted root vegetable recipe makes a brilliant mix of tender veggies! It’s the ideal seasonal side dish.
- 8 carrots (1 pound)*
- 1 large sweet potato (1 pound)
- 8 small or 4 medium beets (1 pound)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Lemon zest and fresh ground black pepper, to finish
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Clean and peel the carrots and chop into 1-inch chunks. Clean the sweet potatoes and chop into 1 inch chunks, leaving the skins on. Place the carrots and sweet potatoes in a bowl. Peel and chop the beets into 1-inch chunks and place them in a second bowl (take care and wear an apron: the beets bleed when peeling and chopping them!).
- To the carrots and sweet potatoes, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder and 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary and stir. Season the bowl with the beets with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1/2 teaspoon chopped rosemary. (Seasoning them separately minimizes bleeding from the beets onto the other vegetables.)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread both bowls of vegetables on the sheet and bake for about 30 to 35 minutes, until tender and browned (no need to stir). Taste and add additional salt if desired. Serve immediately, garnished with lemon zest and fresh ground black pepper, if desired. (Make ahead instructions: Roast the vegetables until tender. Leave at room temperature for a few hours, or refrigerate until serving. Reheat in a 350 degree oven until warmed through.)
*Double for a crowd and use 2 baking sheets: the baking time may be slightly longer because there’s more surface area in the oven. You can use any type of root vegetables in this recipe, including onions, parsnips, turnips, or fennel.
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Roasted
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Roasted root vegetables