This homemade calzone is an Italian and Mexican fusion, stuffed with roasted poblano peppers, onions, corn and gooey cheese.
- Follow the Best Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe or Food Processor Pizza Dough recipe to prepare the dough. (This takes about 15 minutes to make and 45 minutes to rest.) After kneading, divide the dough into 8 equal parts. Brush the bottom of a container with olive oil, then brush the dough balls with olive oil on all sides and place them in the container. Cover the container and allow the dough to rise 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Slice the red onion into thick slices. Place parchment paper on a baking sheet. Place the whole peppers and sliced onions on the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil; rub the oil onto the peppers and mix through the onions. Broil the peppers and onions on high for 10 minutes; flip the peppers, stir the onions, and broil for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven. If desired, place the peppers in a bowl and cover to steam off the skins, then remove the skins. When cool, slice the peppers into strips.
- Cut the corn off the cob (if possible, use a bundt pan: place the corn cob in the center ring and cut the corn down into the pan). Place all vegetables in a bowl, then stir in 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt.
- Preheat the oven to 500°F.
- Working dough 2 balls at a time, place the dough on a floured surface and gently press each into a roughly 5 to 6-inch circle (it’s helpful to measure to make sure it does not get too large). On one half of each dough circle, place shredded cheese, vegetables, then more shredded cheese, making sure to leave 1/2 inch of space around the edge of the dough. Fold the other half of the dough over so that the calzone forms a half-moon shape. Crimp the edges together using a fork (we used a large serving fork). Use a spatula to transfer the calzones to a parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat to make all 8 calzones, split between two baking sheets.
- Beat the egg together with 1 tablespoon water and brush the egg wash onto the top of the calzones.
- Bake the calzones until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, then serve.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian Mexican Fusion
Keywords: Homemade Calzone, How to Make a Calzone, What is a Calzone