Here’s a trick for an easy and healthy side dish: roasted frozen broccoli! The oven gives this veg a makeover, making it browned and crisp at the edges.
- 1 pound frozen broccoli*
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Rinse the broccoli for a few seconds under warm water and tap the strainer to shake off as much water as possible. In a bowl, mix the broccoli florets with the olive oil and scant 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.
- Add the broccoli to a baking sheet and roast for about 25 minutes, until tender and browned on the bottom (no need to stir!). The texture will be more tender than with fresh broccoli, but the edges will still crisp up.
- When the broccoli is done, remove the pan from the oven. Toss with about 1/4 teaspoon more salt to taste. Grate the garlic onto the pan (or mince it and stir in), and add the lemon juice if using. Gently toss it together with a spoon (the broccoli will be very tender so be careful with it), separating any grated garlic that clumps together. Serve immediately.
*The serving size for 4 is on the small side, so double if you are feeding hungry eaters. You’ll likely need to increase the roasting time several minutes when roasting two pans.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Roasted
- Cuisine: Vegetables
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Frozen roasted broccoli