For the roasted vegetables
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 1 red onion
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (2 to 3 medium)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the freekeh
For the lemon yogurt and garnish* (for vegan, use Lemon Tahini Sauce)
- 7 ounces Greek yogurt (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice plus zest from 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds (roasted and salted, if desired)
- 2 tablespoons parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Roast the vegetables: Slice the cauliflower in half, then chop it into florets. Peel the onion and slice it into 1/2 to 3/4-inch slices. Cut the sweet potato into small cubes, about 1/2-inch by 1/2-inch. Mince the garlic. Place all vegetables in a large bowl and mix with the olive oil, cumin, coriander, allspice, cayenne, kosher salt, and black pepper. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then pour the vegetables onto the baking sheet. Roast until tender and slightly browned, about 35 minutes (no need to stir).
- Meanwhile, make the freekeh: place 3 3/4 cups water and the kosher salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the freekah and bring to a simmer, then simmer gently for 20 minutes. Let stand to steam, covered, for 5 minutes prior to serving.
- Make the lemon yogurt: Mix the Greek yogurt with lemon juice, lemon zest, 1/4 cup water, kosher salt and black pepper.
- Serve the grain bowl: Roughly chop the almonds and parsley. To serve, spoon freekah and vegetables into a bowl, and garnish with yogurt sauce, almonds and parsley.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegetable Bowl, Grain Bowl, Roasted Vegetables, Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Healthy, Dinner, Freekah