This cheddar & roasted broccoli casserole is a cozy comfort food with a healthy spin, featuring whole grain millet and roasted broccoli.
- 8 cups broccoli florets (4 small heads)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1 ½ cups millet
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Wash and cut the broccoli into small florets. In a bowl, combine the broccoli with the olive oil, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, and some fresh ground pepper. Pour onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes.
- Prepare the millet using Master Recipe: Millet (takes about 20 minutes).
- Meanwhile, mince the garlic. In a large skillet, heat the butter over medium low heat. Add the garlic and saute for about 1 minute. Add the milk, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and the dried thyme, and bring to a simmer. Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese and stir until the cheese melts and the sauce thickens slightly (turn up the heat slightly if the cheese does not melt at first, but be careful not to overheat it).
- When the broccoli, millet and sauce are finished, turn down the oven temperature to 400°F. Pour the millet into a large casserole dish (9″ x 13″ or 10″ x 12″) and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Add roasted broccoli, pour in the sauce, and add a bit of the shredded cheese (making sure to reserve some cheese for the top). Stir thoroughly to combine all millet with sauce and cheese. Sprinkle the remainder of the cheese over the top.
- Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes until warm.
In a pinch, you can use frozen broccoli florets instead of roasting fresh broccoli. Choose high-quality broccoli; then thaw it and add 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, a few drizzles of olive oil, and fresh ground pepper prior to incorporating in the casserole.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Broccoli casserole, Roasted broccoli, What is millet, Millet Recipes, Vegetarian Dinner Ideas, Healthy Dinner Ideas, Gluten Free Recipes