This red sauce pasta recipe is full of classic Italian flavor! Simmer up this tasty dish with pure, simple ingredients.
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes, San Marzano or best quality
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 6 large basil leaves, plus more to garnish
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 ounces pasta
- Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese, to garnish (or vegan Parmesan)
- Red pepper flakes, to garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat in a saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and cook gently for 5 minutes, until softened and fragrant. Add the tomatoes and remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth. Add the salt, sugar, oregano and basil and blend until combined.
- Return to the saucepan and simmer partially covered until thickened to the desired consistency, 15 to 30 minutes. Taste and adjust salt as desired. (Variations: Stir in red pepper flakes, a splash of cream, grated Parmesan cheese, or a splash of balsamic vinegar if desired.)
- Serve all 3 cups of the tomato sauce with 12 ounces pasta, and top with Parmesan cheese, Pecorino Romano cheese, and/or red pepper flakes. Sauce stores refrigerated for 5 days or frozen for 3 months.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Pasta
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Red sauce pasta recipe, red sauce pasta, red pasta sauce