This savory, hearty quinoa chili with black beans is packed with plant based protein! It works for vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free eaters.
- 3/4 cup dry quinoa
- 1 large yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 large carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 green bell pepper
- 15-ounce can black beans
- 15-ounce can red kidney beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce (from 1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce)
- 2 28-ounce cans tomatoes (we used crushed Muir Glen-brand tomatoes)
- 1 ½ cup frozen corn
- 4 ounces chopped green chiles
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Hot sauce, for serving
- Place 3/4 cup quinoa in a saucepan with 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to very low. Cover the pot, and simmer where the water is just bubbling for about 15 to 20 minutes, until the water has been completely absorbed. (Check by pulling back the quinoa with a fork to see if water remains.) Turn off the heat and let sit covered to steam for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the onion. Mince the garlic. Peel and chop the carrots. Chop the celery. Dice the green pepper. Drain and rinse the beans.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil, then saute the onion for 5 minutes. Add in garlic, carrot, celery, and green pepper, and saute about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the soy sauce and adobo sauce and cook 30 seconds more.
- Add the black beans, kidney beans, Muir Glen tomatoes, 2 cups of the cooked quinoa (reserve remainder for future use), corn, and green chiles. Add enough water to obtain a liquid consistency, about 3 cups. Season with the chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, and ground cumin and bay leaf. Simmer chili on low for 30 minutes.
- When ready to serve, stir in the white wine vinegar and several pinches of kosher salt. Taste, and add additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve with hot sauce and other chili fixings of your choice (lime, cilantro, and so forth).
For gluten-free diets, use gluten-free soy sauce (or omit and use additional kosher salt to taste).
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan chili, black bean quinoa chili, quinoa chili