Instant Pot applesauce is quick and easy to make at home, and oh so delicious! Outside of apples, all you need is a pressure cooker and a cinnamon stick.
- 3 pounds apples (6 to 8 medium apples)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Core and dice the apples. Leave on the skins (for an applesauce with a rosy color), or if you’d like, peel the apples (it’s easier to make chunky applesauce this way; see Step 3).
- Place the apples in the Instant Pot with the water, cinnamon stick, and salt. Lock the lid. Place the pressure release handle (vent) in the “Sealing” position.
- Cook on high pressure for 6 minutes. Note that it takes about 5 minutes for the pot to “preheat” and come up to pressure before it starts cooking. (During cooking, avoid touching the metal part of the lid.)
- Natural release for 5 minutes. After the Instant Pot beeps, set a timer and wait for the natural release to let the Instant Pot release pressure. Then vent any remaining steam by moving the vent to “Venting”, covering your hand with a towel or hot pad. Never put your hands or face near the vent when releasing steam. (During this time the pressure indicator in the lid may drop on its own, meaning that there is no remaining steam in the pot.)
- Open the Instant Pot and carefully remove the cinnamon stick. To make a chunky applesauce, mash down the apples with a potato masher. If you left the skins on, remove the apple skins with a fork (it’s easiest to do a chunky applesauce if you peel the apples first). To make a smooth applesauce, use one of the two methods: run the applesauce through a food processor (or blender) until it’s smooth but still has texture. Then pass it through a strainer to remove any pieces of the peel. Another option is to pass it through a food mill, which quickly removes the peel.
- Taste: depending on the type of apples, the applesauce will likely be sweet enough as is. If not, add a drizzle of maple syrup.
- Category: Essentials
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Apples
Keywords: Instant Pot Applesauce, pressure cooker, applesauce, apple, sauce