This pumpkin oatmeal is the perfect fall breakfast idea! It’s got just the right spice and sweetness to make mornings cozy.
- 1 cup milk of choice (oat milk or almond milk for vegan)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon salted butter (coconut oil for vegan)
- 2 cups Old Fashioned rolled oats (do not use instant oats or steel cut oats)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Maple syrup, to serve
- Stir together the milk, water and pumpkin puree in a small bowl and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the oats and toast for about 2 to 3 minutes, stirring often, until fragrant.
- Add the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Turn the heat to low and carefully pour in the liquids, stirring. Cover and cook on low heat without stirring for 5 minutes until tender. Remove from the heat. Serve immediately for a chunky texture, or stir in another 1/2 cup milk for a creamier body. The texture is intentionally chewy, not gloppy or soggy. Top with desired toppings (a drizzle of maple syrup is a must).
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Oatmeal
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Pumpkin oatmeal, Fall breakfast ideas