This classic pumpkin cake recipe is moist and perfectly spiced! Top with cream cheese frosting for an irresistible treat.
For the pumpkin cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice (purchased or homemade)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup neutral oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
For the cream cheese frosting (optional*)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9 x 13″ or equivalent baking dish.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, baking powder and kosher salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, granulated sugar, pumpkin puree, eggs, oil and applesauce. Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Pour into the prepared pan and use a spatula to smooth into an even layer.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool for 30 minutes, then refrigerate about 15 minutes until it comes to room temperature. (Or allow to cool and refrigerate it, then frost before serving.) If desired, dust with powdered sugar before serving or proceed to the cream cheese frosting (recommended).
- Meanwhile, make the cream cheese frosting: Let the butter and cream cheese sit on the counter for 1 hour to come to room temperature. Use a fine mesh sieve to sift the powdered sugar into a bowl. Beat the butter and cream cheese with a stand mixer or hand mixer on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes until completely smooth, scraping once. Reduce the speed to low, then add the vanilla. Slowly add the powdered sugar until it comes together into a thick icing. Use immediately or refrigerate until using. Store refrigerated for up to 1 week; allow to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes and stir before using.
- Spread the frosting on top of the cake to the desired thickness (you can use the entire batch or less if desired). Stores refrigerated for up to 3 to 4 days; bring to room temperature before serving. Freeze the completely cooled unfrosted cake tightly wrapped for up to 3 months.
*For an alternative, try topping with this easy Maple Glaze.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Pumpkin cake, pumpkin cake recipe